Young girls face enormous challenges every day. Domestic violence, self-esteem issues, date rape, negative body images, depression. They often lack confidence, a solid support network, and role models to remind them of what is possible.
At this moment, today, we are offering them a choice. With access to resources, female role models, and educational and life-skills experiences, we are creating a framework where they can explore career options, connect with their heroes, awaken the leader within, and pursue their passion.
Vision for Girls in King County
To accomplish this, InfluenceHer has invited community leaders, successful women, local heroes, and icons to get involved—to inspire and help empower girls by:
- Extending girls’ support network; providing access to mentors, role models, and the resources they need to succeed.
- Exposing girls to different ways of thinking about themselves and their potential impact on society.
- Exploring employment opportunities and career paths that may otherwise seem beyond their reach.
- Experiencing a broader range of programs in sports, health, and leadership designed specifically for girls.
Vision for Women in King County
Women move mountains in our society. InfluenceHer provides a format for women from across the county to play a role in transforming the future for the girls of King County. Their lifetime experiences, both successes and challenges, provide a window into their journeys and a clear demonstration of what is possible. Boys & Girls Clubs of King County is inviting them to share their journey through mentoring opportunities, speaking engagements, and active involvement in programs focused on improving the lives of girls. They are inviting them to be part of the solution.
Our goal: Sustainable change for over 6,000 girls in King County. Set the stage. Demonstrate what is possible. Support and encourage them to celebrate exactly who they are, shine a light on their gifts and reach for their dreams.
2010 marked the 20th anniversary of the addition of girls to Boys & Girls Clubs of America, making it the perfect time to move girls into the spotlight.
The first step in eliminating the challenges is to get involved:
- Share your story – the challenges and the successes that made you who you are today. Someone special, who influenced your decisions, changed your life.
- Invest in their future – contribute financially to making the InfluenceHer vision a reality.
- Sponsor a girl – discuss sponsorship opportunities with your employer.
- Attend an upcoming event; share your time and your talents. Get involved in this transformative initiative.
Make a difference in the life of a girl.